Seattle Expansion Draft Rules
Draft Date: July 21, 2021
Expansion Eligible Players
If a player has 3 or more years of professional experience as of the end of 2020-2021 season, they are expansion eligible. Professional Experience is defined in accordance with Waivers (CBA Section 13.4) as:
- If player was 20 or older as of Dec 31 of a season, any season with 1+ NHL, AHL, or ECHL GP counts as a year of Professional Experience
- If player was less than 20 as of Dec 31 of a season, any season with 11+ NHL GP counts as a year of Professional Experience
Expansion Exempt PlayersIf the player does not meet the exemption eligibility requirements noted, then their Expansion Eligibility Status is Exempt.
Expansion Protection & SelectionsThe following was published on NHL.com and lightly edited:
The 2021 NHL Expansion Draft, which is scheduled for July 21, will be under the same rules for the Kraken as the Vegas Golden Knights in 2017. The Kraken will select one player from each team excluding the Golden Knights for a total of 30 (Minimum 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies).
Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the $81.5M Salary Cap ($48.9M to $81.5M). The Kraken cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.
NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.
- All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.
- All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits - see eligibility rules
In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:
- One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games (pro-rated to 27GP for 20-21) the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games (pro-rated to 54 GP) in the prior two seasons.
- Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games (pro-rated to 27GP for 20-21) the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games (pro-rated to 54 GP) in the prior two seasons.
- One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.
- Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.